Interim SEND Officer required to have case management responsibility for a caseload of children, young people and their families who are undergoing an education, health and care assessment or have a an education, health and care plan, ensuring a person centred approach and a culture of ‘putting residents first’ is maintained. This will include undertaking SEND key working functions during the assessment process.To proactively work with educational settings to identify those children and young people most in need of progression through the local area SEND pathway.To provide advice and guidance to educational settings in relation the local area SEND pathway and their use of Element 2 SEN budget and to make recommendations in relation to statutory and non statutory decision making.
- A caseload of children and young people (CYP) with special educational needs and disability (SEND) and ensuring the statutory assessment process from 0 to 25 years is undertaken within the statutory deadlines.
- Attending and chairing meetings with families and professionals to undertake the assessment process.
- Drafting outcome focussed initial Education Health & Care (EHC) Plan to capture basic information.
- Managing the statutory assessment process, working in partnership with parents/carers, children and young people and external agencies, ensuring children and young people are centrally involved and consulted with in line with the Children and Families Act 2014 and Code of Practice.
- Ensuring all transitions between education settings and/or life phases are well managed and seamless, with children, young people and their parents/carers involved in planning for their transition to adulthood.
- Providing information, advice and guidance to support planning including preparation for adulthood for CYP.
- Attending annual review meetings to provide information, advice and guidance to CYP, parent/carers and professionals.
- Providing information, advice and guidance to educational settings in relation to statutory and non statutory decision making and pathways of support for children and young people with SEN.
- Supporting education settings in generating, reviewing and monitoring non-statutory My Support Plans relating to Special Educational Needs, and offering advice and guidance to education settings in how best to improve outcomes for their children and young people.
- Ensuring a high level of scrutiny is given to the efficient and effective use of public resources, being mindful of any the financial implications relating to cases.
Key skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- BTEC Level 3 SEN Casework Award or willingness to undertake
- Qualified teacher status or equivalent experience of supporting teaching and learning within educational settings
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Proven experience of working with children and young people with special educational needs and their families.
- Experience of working within an educational setting
- Evidence of working with partners, such as schools and professionals to deliver integrated services to children and young people.
- Experience of planning and delivering support packages for children and young people with complex needs and evaluating outcomes
- Experience of chairing multi-agency meetings.
- Experience of providing advice and guidance to educational settings and other stakeholders in relation to statutory decision making for SEND.
- Good understanding of issues affecting children and young people and the nature of services available to them
- Knowledge of assessment principles and processes and ability to work in an outcome focused way
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with a range of professionals.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation e.g. the SEN Code of Practice, Equality Act, Children Act, Children and Families Act, Care Act, Disability Regulations 2014 and ability to apply this to practice.
- Understanding of child protection and adult safeguarding procedures in education settings.
- Knowledge and understanding of how early years settings, schools and FE colleges operate.
- Knowledge of school and college funding streams and in particular funding for CYP with SEND.
If you are interested in this role, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or upload your CV here and we will call you back to discuss.