Interim Assistant Chief Executive | Chief Digital Officer | London | £950 per day
The council has adopted an ambitious programme to Build a Fairer Borough which sets out an ambitious and delivery-focussed agenda for the Council for the coming four years. It sets out to deliver outcome-focussed change for residents, communities, and businesses. The Borough being a place that’s changing rapidly and leading innovation and the scale of the regeneration and housing programmes are the largest in the country. The council are the first to make the happiness, health and wellbeing of their residents their core measures of success.
As a council they are in the process of organising themselves to quickly align behind the programme to get stuff done. They are therefore reviewing and strengthening their operating model to ensure an amplified focus on getting stuff done for residents, specifically delivering critical improvements in their core service offer that their residents need, want, and expect. The initiatives and programme demonstrates their aspiration to be a leading disruptor and home for the data and digital sector in London, and the significant manifesto commitments the Mayor has publicly committed to.
As part of the first phase of the operating model review, the council are making some ground-breaking changes to their senior leadership structure and redistributing a number of services to deliver a clearer and more streamlined organisational structure.
In order to enable a whole Council approach to deliver the priorities of the administration, the council need to strengthen the capabilities within their corporate centre. Their proposals therefore include a rapid transformation of how the corporate centre of the organisation works to strengthen the breadth, remit, and grip of the corporate centre on core cross-organisational priorities and delivery. The corporate centre will realign under the direct leadership, oversight, and accountability of the Chief Executive to ensure it carries sufficient organisational grip and weight in the organisation.
The Corporate Centre will be led by three new Assistant Chief Executives who will own their corporate approach to marketing, transformation and digital, data and technology and support the Chief Executive in ensuring that as an organisation they Get Stuff Done.
The Interim Assistant Chief Executive, Chief Digital Officer (a first at this senior level in public sector and reflecting the council’s ambitions for best in class digital strategy and application) will bring greater senior leadership focus and capacity in keys areas such as digital, data, technology, and resident experience. They will be joining the council to cover this newly created role for the next 6 months. They will focus on bringing together and aligning the Programme’s mission and design and deliver the required digital transformation and high-quality interactions for our residents.
Successful candidates will be able to share:
- Evidence of having led and implemented a transformational digital and/or data and/or technology strategy in a large and complex organisation.
- Experience of delivering successful programmes which have achieved a transformation in the performance, and culture of a large organisation.
- How you have engendered a digital culture and capability across an organisation.
Other skills and qualifications:
- Significant experience of providing senior leadership of technical and operational delivery functions relating to digital, data and technology.
- In-depth technical knowledge and expertise relating to digital, data and technology. Including approaches to technology stacks, information architecture and experience of leading technical teams.
- Knowledge of innovation and emerging technology, including harnessing data to achieve social change.
- Experience of building organisational capability, redesigning services and leading change across large service areas.
- Significant effective partnership working at a senior level both internally and externally.
- Ability to establish a rapport, credibility with staff and external partners and other professional groups.
- Ability to assess a situation and take calculated risks based on learning and experience to achieve longer term service improvements.
- The ability to analyse, understand and interpret complex issues and to present meaningfully to a wide range of stakeholders.
- The ability to encourage innovation, creativity and new ways of working to ensure the authority is capable of achieving large-scale efficiencies.
For a full job description, please forward your CV or call us on 020 7760 7562.