Interim Procurement and Contracts Manager, initially for 3 month post with likely extension
Summary of Role
- To manage the service team that provides procurement and contract management advice, guidance and support to procuring and contracting services of the Council.
Service Delivery Accountabilities
- Manage a team of procurement professionals in the delivery of the Council’s Procurement Strategy
- Operate the Council’s Procurement Centre of Excellence
- Ensure best practice in procurement and contract management is adhered to across the Council.
- Provide technical assurance and develop internal standards, policies and procedures within the specialist/category area.
- Working collaboratively across the organisation to undertake the provision of guidance, advice, training and where required manage the hands-on support from the specialists to services within the Council
- Ensure the team is current with developments in legislation and best practice relevant to professional area, and develop proposals for organisational improvement as appropriate to level.
- Applying knowledge to lead projects around major procurements within the Council.
- Contribute to the development of corporate policy, strategy and plans including responding to legislative and guidance changes on procurement and contract management
- Working within statutory Council and Government guidelines and ensuring full statutory compliance in the delivery of the service.
- Ensure delivery and management of those corporate contracts under direct control of the Procurement Team.
- Provide functional and/or operational leadership for senior procurement specialists ensuring the provision of professional services that meet customer needs.
- Acting as member of corporate project teams – providing specialist advice and input
- Contributing to strategy, performance and quality control, and service and financial planning for specialist area(s)
- Working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation, Members and managing key relationships e.g. with members, partners, other stakeholders
- Assisting the development of, and ongoing operation of, the Procurement and Contracts Centre of Excellence promoting best practice across the organisation.
- Promotion of best practice in procurement and contract management across all services in the Council through issuance of guidance and training as required.
- Additional Corporate Responsibilities as well as supporting and developing others within specialist area.
- Relevant qualifications or equivalent experience in the specialist area
- Membership of relevant professional body
- Evidence of continuous personal and professional development
- Good IT skills including office software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- An understanding of large, complex and political organisations
- Well developed written and verbal communication skills with an ability to articulate strategic thinking
- Presentation skills, able to engage an audience
- Effective strategy and report writing skills, able to make recommendations for decision making .
- An understanding of the principles of project and programme management
- Ability to actively listen in order to extract and assess the important information, ask pertinent questions in order to seek clarification
- Able to interrogate & analyse data and information
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience in undertaking commissioning activities overseeing all elements of the commissioning cycle
- Experience of supporting the development and delivery of policies and strategies
- Knowledge and experience of the Category areas, and working in a political environment, with understanding of the issues for local authorities and service users
- Experience of working in a matrix management environment, where cross- team and cross-organisation working are essential
- Experience of delivering projects to achieve strategic goals and service improvements with evidence of success in achieving targets and managing performance
- Experience of writing effective briefings and strategic documents
- Experience of successfully resolving complex cases that require an element of judgement
- Well developed working knowledge of the political landscape, legislative frameworks, and regional and national drivers surrounding the area of specialism
- Experience of identifying, developing and delivery of opportunities for improving the service
- Experience of negotiating and influencing with external stakeholders in order to deliver strategic outcomes